Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Tricks for a Perfect Creme Anglaise



I love the custard sauce that is served with almost every English pudding. It is called Creme Anglaise which of course means English cream.

I had a Christmas pudding which I wanted to steam and eat with the creme Anglaise. Yesterday was the day I finally did it. The pudding needed to be steamed for an hour.

I found a recipe on BBC which I thought would be a good choice for the sauce. I had to find a site online to convert the measurements but it was worth it.

I used 4 egg yokes with 1/3 cup of sugar and a 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and beat it together with a whisk. In the meantime I took the cup of heavy cream and brought it to the point of a boil. Of course the recipe called for double cream which in my opinion is even heavier than our heavy cream.

Now comes the tricky part. Not turning the eggs into scrambled eggs. The cream has to be very slowly incorporated into the egg mixture. Once it is all together it needs to go back on low heat until the mixture thickens up just enough to coat the back of a spoon.

It really has a delightful taste and was just perfect with the Christmas pudding. An I was so busy trying not to end up with scrambled eggs that I didn't take pictures. I am going to make it again and will try to get pictures, lol but no promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment