Monday, December 7, 2015

Slow Cooker Oatmeal



I was raised on homemade oatmeal. Not little packets that you pour hot water on but slow cooked homemade oatmeal that my mother stirred for half an hour. I don't have the time or the patience for doing it that way but I do love the taste and texture of the original homemade oatmeal.

In order to get that flavor and texture and not have to spend my time standing at the stove, I bought a small slow cooker, 2 quart size. I get up early, put my 1/2 cup of oatmeal in for 2 servings with 2 cups of water. I turn the slow cooker on to high and in less than 2 hours, you have the creamy long cooked flavor that you only get from homemade oatmeal.

I did try making it overnight on low but I found that the oatmeal got dark around the edges and stuck to the slow cooker. Another option would be to get a timer to turn it on for you early in the morning so you don't have to get up to do it. At any rate, it is delicious and the texture is perfect.

I prefer to use steel cut oatmeal and Irish is particularly good but it is not necessary to accomplish the great texture. If you love homemade oatmeal, it is a simple as set it and forget it.

I did try it with slices of fresh granny smith apples and it was good but I am a purist I guess because I prefer it plain without the fruit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment