Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Let me introduce you to cretons


Let Me Introduce You to Cretons


If you are not French Canadian or at least of French Canadian extraction, chances are that you have no idea what cretons is. It is made with pork, spices (cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg or allspice) and leaf lard. 
Every family has their special recipe. 

Getting leaf lard in the United States is not an easy thing. 

My mother tried to explain to our local slaughter house exactly what she was looking for and had no luck whatsoever. Evidently it is a particular fat on the kidneys of the pig.

Anyway the pork is boiled then run through the meat grinder with the leaf lard and the spices are then added. It should be creamy not like hamburger which I have seen some resemble. 

You place it in a small jar or container and keep it in the fridge, it can also be frozen. Basically what it most resembles is pate though it tastes quite different. It is not healthy but it is delicious served on toast in the morning or just on slices of crusty bread. 
For me, this is the food of my childhood and I love it.

What brought this on is that my son went up to Quebec for the winter carnival and asked me if I wanted him to bring back something. I gave him a list and on that list was cretons. He brought me back a small container. 

It is not anywhere as good as the one my aunts and my mother made but it is close enough to make me nostalgic for a time long ago.

In case you want a recipe, Emeril Lagasse , who is half French Canadian, has a recipe. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/cretons-breakfast-pork-spread-recipe.html

No comments:

Post a Comment