Thursday, December 8, 2016

Quick and easy meatloaf

Meatloaf is a very popular meal at our house. I grew up on my mother’s very good meatloaf. 

To create my own variation, I used my favorite things about my Mom’s meatloaf and added my own touches. It is just as good the next day, especially in a sandwich.I hope you enjoy my recipe for quick and easy meatloaf.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. I use a stone bread pan to cook this meatloaf and it requires no additional grease.
  • Ingredients
    2 pounds lean hamburger
    3/4 cup Heinz Ketchup
    1 1/2 cups of good quality Italian flavored bread crumbs
    1 medium onion chopped fine
    1 small green bell pepper chopped fine
    2 tablespoon horseradish
    Salt and pepper to taste
The coating
1/2 cup additional Heinz Ketchup

Directions
Place the hamburger in a large bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Blend well. I usually do this with my hands as I have found this to be the most effective way. Wash your hands thoroughly before kneading the ingredients together carefully to form a great mixture ready to bake. Another good idea is to take off any rings you might be wearing; the hamburger mix will wedge itself into every nook and cranny if you don’t.

When it is well blended, place in your pan. I use a stone loaf pan but glass or metal works fine. The 1/2 cup of Heinz ketchup is the perfect topping. Pour it over the top to completely cover the meatloaf in a deliciously appetizing coating. Spread with a knife or spatula.

Bake for one hour in the pre-heated oven. The top will get well cooked, though do not despair. This is usual and adds a delicious quality to the finished texture of the meal. If it gets black that is okay too.

To serve as a main meal, choose fresh vegetables and you can always cook potatoes in the oven with the meatloaf or cook some canned or frozen corn to accompany your creation.
If you are not a fan of ketchup, you can use tomato sauce in its place but keep in mind, this will have less flavor and you may need to add some spices of your own.

Remember to let your meatloaf cool a little before serving. A couple of minutes should do, and then slice up and serve, adding a tablespoon of butter to freshly cooked potatoes for the perfect dish. This is both a quick and easy recipe and a delicious meal. This recipe for quick and easy meatloaf serves four to six generously. Double it and make two loaves and you will have enough for great sandwiches later in the week.

Alternatives

I decided to roast a huge potato at the same time on a sheet pan. I cut the potato into four spears, put Italian herb olive oil on all the cut sides and sprinkled with steak seasoning. 
I cooked the meatloaf and the potatoes in a 400-degree oven for 70 minutes and it was perfect. This time I used a glass loaf pan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment