Saturday, November 28, 2015

Turkey soup The aftermath

I think everyone has probably overdosed on turkey by now. I used the Thanksgiving Day carcass to make a turkey soup on Thanksgiving Day night. I use a very simple recipe which is much like the one my mother always used. 

You need a large Dutch oven, at least 6 quarts. 


Put the carcass into the dutch oven. Cover with water or chicken stock. I used pan drippings, about 2 cups worth. Add two stalks of celery. 3 carrots, and one large onion.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Put the cover on the pan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a 3 for an hour or two. 

Strain out everything but the stock, place in containers and freeze or use within 2 or 3 days. 

If you want to eat turkey soup right now, keep one container and add pulled turkey meat, cut up the veggies from the stainer, carrots, onions, and celery and add cooked rice or noodles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment