Monday, October 19, 2015

Making Delicious Homemade Hot Chocolate

It can be brutally cold in the northeast and some days seem to be perfect for a cup of hot cocoa. I am not the type to open a package of Swiss Miss. I make my own homemade hot chocolate from scratch. 

made two cups of cocoa. I used a 3-quart non-stick saucepan but any saucepan will do. This is slow cooked hot chocolate not microwaved. 


Add 6 teaspoons of unsweetened Hershey cocoa and 4-6 tablespoons of sugar depending on how sweet you like it,  to the pan.  I opted for 4. Add enough warm water to makes a smooth paste. Slowly add 3 cups of milk. I used 1 percent but whatever you prefer is fine. I placed the heat on medium-high. 


I then added a pinch of salt, a shake of cinnamon and a dash of vanilla. All of which is unnecessary for a good cup of cocoa. 


Bring the mixture almost to a boil and pour into a large mug. Be careful it is hot. We ended up adding a little more warm milk to tone it down a bit, it was too sweet for our taste but of course, everyone's taste is different. You can top it with marshmallows if that is your preference. 


I do love a mug of hot cocoa on a cold winter day. Sometimes I will use Ghirardelli or Godiva sweeten cocoa and they are decadent. Of course, marshmallows are an optional addition.  



No comments:

Post a Comment