Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Homemade Apple Crumble

Many years ago we planted 2 apple trees in our backyard. We got a few apples the first year and then nothing. Last year one tree was damaged and had to be cut back. This year the other tree had an abundant crop of apples.

I decided that nothing would be better than making a homemade apple crumble with my own apples. Our tree is a Macintosh apple tree.  Another great use would have been homemade applesauce.

Al brought me in a bag of apples that had fallen from the tree. They were pretty small and a bit bruised but I was able to peel enough to make a crumble in my round stone baking dish. I am going to estimate it was 4 cups of peeled and sliced apples.

To that, I added 2 tablespoons of sugar, a teaspoon of nutmeg and a pinch of cinnamon. I use my mother's French Canadian spicing which is more nutmeg, less cinnamon, you, of course, should season it according to your personal preferences.

For the crumble, I used my mini food processor. I cut 4 tablespoons of cold butter into small pieces, added 1/3 cup of white flour and 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar along with a 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg and pulsed until it was crumbly.

Now in honesty, I didn't measure much of anything I just added and pulsed until it looked right so I have estimated what I used.

I then sprinkled the topping over the apples and put them in a 350-degree oven on the timer for 30 minutes. I didn't remove it when done since I was busy elsewhere which is why I use the timer to turn off the heat.


It was delicious and I have made homemade apple crumble two more times with equal success. It can be served with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. I personally prefer heavy cream just poured over it.



This recipe makes enough for 6-8 servings and the grandsons loved it as well. What's not to like about homemade apple crumble? 

2 comments:

  1. We are thinking of going apple picking this year. Sounds good, pinning to my food board.

    ReplyDelete