Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Maguires Cafe on the Hill of Tara Ireland

By the time we got to the Hill of Tara, it was after 2 p.m. and to say we were getting peckish is an understatement. I wanted to grab a bite at the Battle of the Boyne visitor center but Gerry recommended waiting and going to McGuires. It didn't occur to me that maybe he has an arrangement with them to bring his passengers there to eat, but I suspect it is so. When we saw it we understood why.  It is very attractive and our greeting was warm.

We got menus and our drinks quite quickly but we were allowed to wait too long to place our orders. Gerry ended up going to the counter and telling them to come over. I ordered the vegetable soup of the day which was sweet potato and parsnip, a tuna and sweetcorn wrap, and tea. We invited Gerry to join us for lunch and he also ordered tea so they served us tea for two.

Irene also ordered the soup and a ham and cheese panini to share with Pete and Janet ordered the ham and cheese panini. Jerry ordered the BLT on a bagel. I wonder if he knew something?

The soup was delicious, really, really good and it came with nice grainy bread. The wrap was just okay as was the ham and cheese panini. Pete ordered an Irish coffee with Jameson and it came as a cup of coffee and a shot of Jameson on the side. He was quite surprised.

I ordered the rhubarb crumble to go and also took my half wrap which I had not finished with me. I figured it would make a nice dinner later. I was wrong. The wrap didn't travel very well and it desperately needed more mayo and the rhubarb crumble was terrible. The crumble and crust were disgusting and I ended up eating the rhubarb out of it as best as possible. I love rhubarb crumble and I was so disappointed, I should have ordered the Pavlova.

Maybe it was just what I ordered, the soup was so good and it was all downhill from there. The staff at McGuires Cafe was lovely and friendly so it is hard to give them a bad review but I recommend steering clear of the tuna and the crumble and maybe going with the BLT bagel lol.  I am thinking they cater to bus tours and are what you would expect of such an establishment. 





No comments:

Post a Comment