Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Restaurant Review: Fowler House Cafe Quincy Mass

After our day touring the Adams sites we were ready to get some grub. We walked down the street past the United First Parish Church looking for something to interest us. It was warm, we were tired, and frankly, nothing looked that great. (sorry restaurant owners in that area). Fine, we thought, we will just find something on the way to the hotel. Now I have to admit when I get hungry I am not a pretty sight and I was getting peckish in the extreme. Luckily for us, we spotted the Fowler House CafĂ© about a mile after we left the parking lot. 

We found a parking spot across the street and ran over. There is seating in both the bar area and the dining room. It’s hard to tell what to expect from the outside, we almost expected a neighborhood bar. We were half right, this is definitely a neighborhood place but it is a family restaurant to be sure. 

The menu has lots of choices from appetizers, the "drunken mussels" sounded great to me, to soups and chili. They have individual pizza from as simple a plain cheese to as exotic as eggplant and roasted red pepper. Lots of salad choices, burgers, and sandwiches. I, however, was warm and tired and I wanted something frosty cold. Nope, not a beer, a Pina Colada, and a beauty it was. Just what I needed to perk me up.

I was ready for some serious eating. I ordered the Seafood baked trio, a combination of scrod, scallops, and stuffed shrimp cooked in a casserole, lightly buttered, and seasoned. Al chose the shrooms and tips. Both of our orders came with a basic green salad to start. It was a very basic green salad with iceberg lettuce, onion, tomato, croutons, and one piece of cucumber. It was however huge.

My fish dish was delicious, I had it served with butternut squash as my side.  Al’s plate was loaded with perfectly cooked tips and shrooms and butternut squash. So much food, unfortunately, we had no room for dessert.

We were seated in a very comfortable and private booth. Around us, there were families, children, and seniors. A little bit of everything. There was a lot of bang for your buck here and most people were taking away doggy bags.

Service was friendly and efficient. I would eat at the Fowler House Cafe again if I was in the neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment