Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Easy one pan fall meal

I have to be honest and admit that this is more of a fall or winter meal than a summer meal unless you live in the Southern Hemisphere or in a very cold climate. However, it is a big favorite with my husband and me and it gives us a good dinner and then leftovers. It is a delicious one-pan meal that is easy to fix.



This meal fits quite nicely in a 12 by 9 pan which most of us have. I, however, have a glass 14 by 10 that I usually use. Begin by adding 1 tablespoon of good quality olive oil to the pan. I like flavored oils and the roasted butternut squash flavor was particularly good with this recipe. I get mine from Fiore in Rockland, Maine.

Turn the oven on to 400 degrees and set the rack in the middle of the oven.

My recipe feeds my husband and myself with leftovers so I think I can safely say it feeds 4. Wash 4 potatoes, I like red-skinned ones chopped into small pieces. Add to the pan. Clean 3 small purple turnips, 3 large carrots or 10 baby carrots, and a large red or sweet onion depending on your taste. I also add parsnips when I have them. Try to be sure that all the vegetables are cut into similar size pieces.

To the vegetables in the pan add an additional tablespoon of olive oil, sea salt, pepper, and rosemary to taste and toss the vegetable to cover with the seasoning.

The last thing I added was a ring of smoked sausage (I like Hillshire Farm). I cut it into 2-inch pieces and placed the pieces on top of the vegetables. I covered it with aluminum foil and placed it in the oven for 40 minutes. I removed the sausage at that time and cooked the veggies for an additional 15 minutes without the foil. Check the veggies to make sure they are tender and if you need additional time let it go.

We love this meal, obviously, you can change up the meat used and other types of sausage (Polish, Spanish or Portuguese ) would also work well. It is simple, tasty, and easy cleanup, everything a woman loves about a meal. I love to create a delicious one-pan meal.

Ingredients:
1 Ring Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage
4 Red potatoes unpeeled
3 Large carrots or 10 baby carrots
3 Small purple turnips
Parsnips if you have them
1 Large onion (I like Spanish, Bermuda, or Vidalia)
Good quality olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Rosemary

No comments:

Post a Comment