Monday, October 17, 2016

Crockpot baked beans

I was raised on great homemade baked beans. My mom cooked them in a pot in the over and they were delicious. I used her recipe to create my version which is a set and forget it way to make baked beans you can be proud of and people will rave about. 

What you need:
16 oz Navy Pea Beans
1 package salt pork
1 large or two small onions
1/3 cup molasses
salt and pepper to taste
#bakedbeans

Soak you dried beans overnight. I soak them right in the crockpot. Empty the water and replace it with fresh. Chop the onion and add to beans, cut the salt pork into pieces, size is irrelevant. Add the molasses and salt and pepper, cover with water. Stir and then turn the crock pot on high. 

After 4 hours I lowered the heat to low and cooked for another 4 hours. I served this with crusty semolina bread and it was delicious. It was husband approved!!



No comments:

Post a Comment