Monday, May 23, 2016

Cookout Side Dishes We Love

As we are getting closer to summer, most of us are thinking ahead to all the cookouts we will be having. Beyond the hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken, and steak there are the side dishes that make the meal memorable. I hope you enjoy a few of our family favorites. 

Macaroni and Cheese


Macaroni and cheese is a favorite dish to serve at any type of family gathering. It can be baked mac and cheese or just simple macaroni with a cheese sauce of your choosing but no matter what, it is sure to be a guest and family favorite. 

Macaroni salad

Macaroni salad is one of the easiest cookout dishes to make. By changing up the shape of your macaroni, you can make the salad look very different. I prefer corkscrews or farfalle myself but many people like good old elbows. 

To take the salad up a notch, add things like tuna, shrimp, ham or chicken. I always ad peppers and when I want to make it special I use a combination of red, yellow and green peppers. Cherry or grape tomatoes, summer squash or broccoli make it more nutritious as well as delicious. 

Whether you prefer a mayonnaise base or use oil and/or vinegar the salad will taste great. Keep in mind that the salad may be sitting outdoors for a while and if you use mayonnaise it is wise to provide some way to keep it cool. 

Fruit salad

Fruit salad is one of my favorites. It is always a welcome cookout side dish. I like to freeze some grapes before I make my salad, and then I add them just before I take my salad to the cookout. The grapes keep the salad cold for several hours and add great flavor and texture. It is wisest to avoid fruits that turn colors, such as apples or bananas, and choose those that hold their shape well like melons, berries, and pineapple.

Potato salad

What would a cookout be without potato salad? Whether you go for the more traditional mayonnaise and egg variety or the German style you are sure to make everyone happy. Here is my attempt at one. 

Deviled eggs



One of the most requested items at all of my cookouts is my deviled egg. Mine are simple, mayonnaise and Grey Poupon mustard added to the cooked yokes and then beaten to a smooth consistency. I use a piping gun so that they will be not only delicious but appealing. I never sprinkle paprika on the top of mine but I do use a garlic garni!!

Jell-O mold

I love jello molds. It can be simple, just beating some whipped cream in and molding it or my favorite, the pretzel crust jello which is crunchy and delicious. Berries and jello are a great comb, just be creative and it doesn't even have to be molded, a pyrex dish works just as well. 

Baked beans


Whether you doctor up a can of beans or bake your own, baked beans are a cookout favorite. They can be good old Boston-style or a more western barbecue flavor. You can slow cook them in a crockpot or the old-fashioned way in the oven. You can throw in some onions and a little bacon and take them to a whole new level. Whatever you choose, they are sure to be popular.

These are just a few ideas for cookout side dishes. Every cook has a few of their own that get requested at every outing. You will serve the ones that your friends and family love best.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment