Thursday, May 19, 2016

Easy Shrimp and Yellow Rice

We love yellow rice. It must be Al's Portuguese heritage since it is nothing that I grew up with. My original recipe calls for just the yellow rice and shrimp but I decided to make it a little more paella-like by adding sausage. In this case, it was some freshly made kielbasa that Steve gave me this week. 

Ingredients:



  • 2 bags of Carolina yellow rice
  • 1/2 lb of medium shrimp
  • link of kielbasa
  • 2 tablespoon butter


Cook the rice according to package directions which is 1 2/3 cup water and 1 tablespoon of butter per package of rice. Bring the butter and water to a boil and add the rice and shrimp. They need to cook about 20 minutes. 


While the rice is cooking, slice the kielbasa into disks and saute lightly in a pan. Add to the rice and shrimp for the last 5 minutes cooking. Remove from heat and allow to thicken up. 



Now, in all honesty, if this was for just me I would add a green vegetable to this mix but Al doesn't care for most veggies so to please him I leave it as just protein and starch. When I make shrimp and rice I usually add peas. 

I just scoop the rice, shrimp and kielbasa into bowls and we eat it straight up and simple. It is delicious and certainly comfort food that is easy and inexpensive to prepare. This recipe makes 4 servings. 


No comments:

Post a Comment