Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Potato Leek Soup

I love soup when the weather turns cold and potato leek is just the perfect comfort soup for a cool day. As luck would have it, I got two leeks and some large potatoes in my Misfits Market box and had to do something with them. I did make a stop at the grocery store to get some cream and Kasey loaned me some thyme. 

What you need for my version is:


  • 2 large leeks
  • 1 really large potato and 1medium potato ( to weight about 1 pound)
  • 1 teaspoon of garlic (or to taste) I used jarred but if fresh 1 1/2 cloves
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 3/4 cup whipping cream
  • 1 teaspoon dry thyme

Prep your veggies, slice the white and green parts of the leek, it should be about 2 cups. Put some butter in a saute pan and slowly soften the leeks and the garlic. Add them to a slow cooker, peel and cut the potato into small chunks and add them to the slow cooker as well. Put in the chicken broth, cover and cook on high for 4 or 5 hours. 

Poke the potatoes with a fork, if they are soft, turn off and let cool. If you have an immersion blender this is the time to use it. I couldn't find mine so I used my Ninja Storm. I blended the mixture until it was smooth. I added the cream and blended it in along with the thyme. some salt and pepper. 

It is ready to eat at this point or it may need to be warmed up a bit. I added about half a cup of milk at this point since I thought the mixture was too thick. 

Al and I both loved this soup and the recipe made enough for two generous servings with a little bit leftover. It can easily be doubled or tripled. 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds absolutely delicious, Isabelle. Perfect for a cold winter’s night; I can’t wait to try it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete