Thursday, November 24, 2016

How to make a basic Bechamel

One of the most useful sauces in the world is the basic Bechamel. I am sure that mine is not traditional. Well, I should say, I always thought it was traditional since I learned it from my mom and she is French Canadian and a great cook. Looking at recipes online made me realize that everyone does not make their's as simply as I do. 

What you need:

  • Butter
  • Wondra
  • Milk
I begin by making a roux. A roux is just butter and flour. You can make as little or as much as you want, all you need to know is the basic proportion. One tablespoon of butter, one tablespoon of flour (I use Wondra) and 1 cup of milk. 

I use a non-stick skillet. Melt the butter and add the flour, Stir until you have a thick paste. Slowly add in the milk. Cook on high but don't boil and still the entire time. It can take a few minutes to thicken up. After about 5 minutes it should be done and if you are making a cheese sauce, you can add it now and stir.

A basic Bechamel doesn't have cheese and is excellent on vegetables or things like canned salmon. We often ate this on Fridays when I was a kid. Creamed mushrooms, asparagus,  and salmon all found their way onto toast. My mother favorite was broccoli with Bechamel, she never added cheese. I use this sauce as the base for my mac and cheese. 



No comments:

Post a Comment