Friday, June 3, 2016

Delectable Portuguese Sweet Bread pudding

I noticed that my gallon of milk was at its sell by date and so I wanted to use as much milk as quickly as possible. When I want to do this I usually make either rice or bread pudding. Since I have a freezer full of bread I decided to go with bread pudding. I found that I had several bags of leftover Portuguese Sweet Bread and it seemed the perfect bread to make bread pudding.

What you will need:



  • 6 slices of Portuguese Sweet Bread with raisins
  • 2 cups of milk
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 8" by 8"oven proof pan

Preheat the over to 350 degrees. 


Cut the bread up into small pieces and place the pieces in the baking dish. 


In a bowl mix the eggs, milk, and melted butter. Add the sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Mix well and then pour over the bread. 


With a fork press the bread down and make sure all the pieces are completely submerged in the milk mixture. 


Bake for 45 minutes. 


It is delicious plain but would be wonderful with poured or whipped cream or a sauce like brandy or whiskey sauce. 

The finished #bread pudding

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was delicious, we finished it last night with a little maple syrup and heavy cream, it was luscious.

      Delete