Monday, March 21, 2016

Oven roasted cabbage steak

Cabbage is something that we normally eat with corned beef, in a boiled dinner, or as coleslaw. I never use it as a side dish, well never until I saw this recipe on Facebook for roasted cabbage steak. It caught my interest. So I went out and bought a cabbage and then tried to find the recipe on Facebook. Of course, I couldn't find it anywhere. So, I had to come up with my own version.

What you need:


1 cabbage

olive oil

salt and pepper
whatever spice appeals to you (I used a Parmesan and garlic spice)


Preheat oven to 400.


Slice the cabbage into rings like you would a pineapple. Make them at least an inch thick so that they can hold up to baking.




Place olive oil in the bottom of a sheet pan, I just brushed it on with my pastry brush. I then melted a tablespoon of Kerrygold Irish Butter with canola oil in it and brushed it one the top side of the cabbage. I added salt and pepper to the top.




I turned the cabbage over and after placing it on the cookie sheet, brushed the other side with the butter and added salt and pepper and the spice.




Place the cookie sheet in the center of the oven and bake for 30 minutes. At 30 minutes you need to flip the cabbage over. This is the hardest part, I broke up a few of the steaks but some flipped perfectly.


Cook the roasted cabbage steak for an additional 30 minutes.




I might like to cook my cabbage steaks even longer, the parts that got crunchy and golden brown were especially delicious.


I absolutely loved what roasting did to the taste of cabbage and I made my entire meal out of the cabbage, Al liked it as well. I highly recommend roasted cabbage steak. 


I am looking forward to making roasted cabbage steak again soon. I might even try it on the grill this summer with a veggie roasting tray.

10 comments:

  1. I suppose that should have been Steak not streak?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Thanks for pointing that out, I was rushing to write it this morning. And which will you be trying? Should I be on the lookout for you streaking by???

      Delete
  2. will definately be giving this a try....thank you gor sharing it with us...

    ReplyDelete
  3. will definately be giving this a try....thank you gor sharing it with us...

    ReplyDelete