Thursday, March 2, 2017

Angel's Dining Car Palatka, Florida

Angel's Dining Car calls itself the oldest diner in Florida. This former railroad car was converted to a diner in 1932 so who am I to dispute their claim? 

Having said that about it being a railroad car, as you can imagine the interior is small, extremely small as a matter of fact. One booth (which we were lucky enough to get, a few tables and counter service. Curb service is offered to your vehicle so that is an option. 

Breakfast. lunch and dinner are served. We arrived at around 2 p.m. The booth was empty so we got it but by the time we were leaving even the counter was pretty full, this is a popular place. 

One reason I am sure is that the prices are reasonable. Very reasonable. Al's platter which included a cheeseburger, fries, onion rings and a drink was $7.50. I had a patty melt, onion rings,  and a coke float. What I loved is that I got more coke when I needed it.

Don't expect fast service, while we did get our drinks quickly and put our orders in, it does take a while to cook things from scratch. I loved the onion rings, they were outstanding. The patty melt was good, nice and juicy but the bread was a little greasy from the grill I guess. I loved the coke float, it has been a while since I had one. 

One thing we noticed was that we were not asked how well done we wanted the burgers. Al asked for medium rare but got well done, I suspect that they serve them all one way. 

This place has tons of history and charm and our waitress was very friendly. I highly recommend if you are in the area you give it a try. 

If you are planning a visit to Ravine Garden State Park, this dining car is less than a mile away. 



No comments:

Post a Comment