Thursday, July 7, 2016

Strawberry rhubarb crisp

I love anything strawberry rhubarb. I went looking for recipes that might give me a delicious result and I decided on Ina Gartner's recipe on the Food Network. I made a couple of adjustments to the recipe to make it my own.

I went to the local farm stand in Glastonbury to buy fresh local rhubarb and strawberries. 

Set oven to 350 degrees. I used a 9 by 9 stone baking dish. I want to point out this the recipe says 25 minute prep time. It took me more than 45 minutes of prep so I guess I am just slow. 

What you need:

Fruit
4 cups rhubarb cut into small pieces
4 cups fresh strawberries cut in half
1 cup sugar
1 ½ teaspoon orange zest ( I used Penzey orange peel)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
½ cup orange juice ( I used Paul Newman pink lemonade)

Crisp
¼ cup white sugar
12 tablespoons cold butter ( I used Kerry Gold) cut into cubes
1 cup flour
½ cup light brown sugar
½ teaspoon salt

1 cup quick cook oats ( I used Stop and Shop brand)

Prepare the strawberry and rhubarb and place in a large bowl.( I actually used a glass baking dish)  Add the sugar and orange peel. Whisk the corn starch and the lemonade until it is smooth and add to the fruit mixture. Place in the stone baking dish. 


I used my stand mixer for the crisp. 

Add all the ingredients to the mixer bowl and use the paddle to mix it. It should be well mixed and crumbly after a few minutes. Add it to the top of the fruit. 

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the baking dish on it and place in oven. Bake for one hour. I always set my oven to turn off in an hour, this way if I am busy elsewhere it will turn off automatically.

We did not serve it with anything but whipped cream or ice cream would be nice. We loved this and ate it to the very last drop. 



No comments:

Post a Comment