Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Delicious Strawberry rhubarb galette

What is a galette you ask? It is a rustic one-crust pie and you can use the pie crust that you find in the dairy case, it works great. Strawberry rhubarb is a popular combination for pies and galettes as well. 

Finding rhubarb can be hard. At some times of the year, it is still available at farm stands and I found some at Stop and Shop in East Hampton. Mine met with an accident this year, usually, I grow my own. In Florida, I found it frozen.


Begin by turning your oven on to 375 degrees.


Take the pie crust out of the fridge so it can come to room temperature. 


For the filling you need:

2 cups chopped strawberries 

2 cups chopped rhubarb
1 teaspoon orange rind/peel
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons of flour or cornstarch

Put all the ingredients into a bowl and mix. Make sure the sugar and the flour are well incorporated. 


Place the pie crust in a pie plate or like me a square stone pan. place the filling in the center and crimp the edges to make the rustic look. 


Bake for 50 minutes. I just use timed bake so if I am out of the room the stove will turn off automatically.


I ate this strawberry rhubarb galette plain but ice cream or whipped cream would be nice. 


In the pictures, I only used one cup of each fruit and the rest of the ingredients were adjusted to match. I felt it could have used more fruit which is why I adjusted the recipe to reflect that.








No comments:

Post a Comment