Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Strawberry rhubarb upside down cake

I have been wanting to make a strawberry upside down cake for a while. I finally gave it a try yesterday. It is not perfect, actually, I  would call it a work in progress!!  I did learn some things, however. 

First, use fresh rhubarb if you can, I had frozen rhubarb from last year, I had cut it in large pieces. If you must freeze rhubarb, cut into pieces the size you plan to use. 

When you thaw rhubarb, a lot of the liquid comes out. I should have planned to use the liquid in the cake batter but I didn't. Also, make sure you have all the ingredients you need. My cake recipe called for sour cream and my sour cream was past its peak. I used my coconut yogurt in its place. 

Lastly, don't believe a recipe when it seems wrong. I followed a Food Network recipe that said cook the cake for an hour, that seemed way too long to me by about double but it was hot and I was lazy so I just put the oven on auto cook for an hour. The cake is much too dark but luckily still moist, just very dense.

Now for the recipe. 


1.5 cups of strawberries
1.5 cups rhubarb
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbs corn starch

Mix these ingredients together. Place in the bottom of a buttered cake pan. I used a 10-inch square stone pan and honestly, I think it was too big, I would use an 8 or 9-inch cake pan next time. 

Cake
1 3/4  cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
 1/2 tsp salt

1 cup sugar
1 stick soften butter
2 large eggs
1/4  cups sour cream
1 cup milk

Cream the sugar and butter and add the eggs. Add the rest of the ingredients. Mix until fluffy. Pour over strawberries and rhubarb mixture. Cook in a 350-degree oven for 35 minutes, (note I changed the time to what I think it should be) check and if it needs more continue cooking. 

Run a knife around the edge of pan to loosen and turn face down onto a plate. Let it cool. Take away the pan and make any repairs that may be necessary. 

Eat with whipped cream or poured cream and enjoy. 

I will be posting updates when I try this again to let you know but feel free to let me know if you try it, how you change it to make it even better. 



No comments:

Post a Comment